Sunday, December 21, 2008

I had so much fun this weekend! All New Englanders were aware we would be dumped on this weekend by over a foot of snow - so I left work early on Friday and headed home.  I made a huge pot of chili all while drinking my favorite wine (Estancia Pinot Grigio FYI) and doing  a few rounds of shoveling.  I don't know why I've always really loved shoveling.  I love bundling up and going outside and seeing the kids play across the street.  And last year I learned shoveling burns 440 calories an house so - BONUS.  My little neighbor Kyle came over and we made some snowballs and some snow angels.  Nerdy.

By 7pm my car was already covered.  I woke up early the next day to go in town and be a tourist with Hillary, John and Hillary's brother Kent, and his girlfriend Christy.  While I was in bed I was thinking "OK I'll brush my car off and park at the station."  Not the case.  When I looked outside I saw the snow had not let up and now my car was a white silhouette of itself.  So I decided to walk to the station.  Something I have definitely not done since high school pre license.  I saw a few cars spin out on my way so I knew I made the right choice.  Stopped at DD for a huge coffee and got on the T. 

One of my quests for the day was to find red tights.  So while I was waiting for the rest to come in - I stopped at Macy's.  Seriously they had EVERY other color besides red.  Truthfully I really wanted plaid tights - anywho I digress.  Our first stop together was Newbury Comics in Fanuiel Hall.  Kent and Christy were blown away by Newbury.  We spent like over an hour in there just looking at everything.  But I FOUND my red tights!  They are awesome.  Hillary made fun of me the whole time for buying them and then at Urban Outfitters - what did she buy - red tights.  We're going to be the Red Tight brigade.  We got lunch at the less glamourous Hard Rock Cafe.  The new one in Fanuiel Hall is so much cooler than the one that was in Back Bay.  Say what you want about HRC - I'm always so in awe by all the cool stuff.  We were sat at the New Kids on the Block table.  Of course.

Next stop was Mike's Pastry - it was hike and yeah we so needed it after that dinner.  I'm so embarrassed to say I've lived in Boston my whole life and I've been to the North End twice maybe.  It's so picturesque.  Kent kept saying we should be in a movie because it was so nice.  Went to Mike's which is pretty much the best bakery Boston has to offer.  I got some treats for Mom and Roger and of course a treat in the form of a cupcake for little old me (more on that later).  

We walked around a bit more just looking at stuff.  I thanked ULU, one of the companies I work with wilst walking around all day.  They sent me a great pair of  boots when I started working with them late last year.  I didn't wear them much because I really depend on my Tecnica Apres Moon Boots in serious winter weather - who I also used to work for.  I really started wearing my ULU's this year and I feel like I can walk anywhere and get over any snowbank in them - and they're adorable.  They have an amazing strong outsole probably designed for serious snow people in Colorado but lemme tell you - they're genious for a day in the city.  I had to jump over this snow bank probably 4 feet off the ground.  I glided over that shit like a Gazelle in my awesome boots.

I digress.  We hopped on the Blue Line (which got a makeover!) and went to AMC Boston Common theatre to see Yes Man!  I really enjoyed that movie.  Jim Carrey and Zooey Deschanel - what's not to like.  After the movie we parted ways and I headed back to the south shore.  It took forever on the T - and then I remembered I had to still walk home.  Not a fun time.  The snow had gotten way worse and of course no one shoveled the sidewalks.  So half way home I had to walk on the "sidewalk" through the snow.  Serious workout for the buns and calves. When I finally got home I got a glass of wine and decided to eat my cupcake.  Now I did take a picture of it but I didn't save it - when I realized this it was only a crumb.  Sad.
Hillary and I with the bells in Fanueil Hall!

The side at our New Kids table!  His little (seriously so small) tour jacket was in a case above.
(blogspot is not letting me load pics!  More later!)

So excited for only 2 days of work this week!  They're going to be busy though.  Blerg.

4 comments:

CIP said...

You'll look adorable in your red tights! I want some now, haha. I have grey..that's my most exciting color.

Kristen said...

I will definitely take pictures when I wear my red tights! One of my resolutions for the new year is to take more photos and I'm starting on Christmas Eve!

patrick said...

Shoveling burns 440 calories an house? The best typo ever.

Kristen said...

Yep every house burns 440 calories. Good catch. I'm usually the spelling police.