Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Happy Hump Day!
This week so far has been agonizing work wise. Four more people got laid off at the company I work for. First it was a number of senior management in October. I was pretty confident I would be safe as my salary is quite low and I'm sure it wouldn't make a difference if they were to let me go.

Then Monday we got an email about a emergency meeting 10 minutes from then. We knew it had to be about people getting laid off. Bethany and I sat there staring at each other being like "They'd have to call us if we were getting cut right... right??" Then all of a sudden my phone rings. My heart probably stopped for like two seconds - I'm sure of it. It actually was my supervisor letting me know she wouldn't be calling in but she wanted us to tell her what was being announced.

Four really good people got laid off. What's scarier is that they were at my level. One of the guys that got laid off had been working on an account with me - now that he's gone I'm getting his hours and his work - it sucks but - I couldn't be happier to take on more work! Two of my favorite gals also got laid off. One who was a Assistant but man she was awesome. Another who was my total BFF during the election. Total liberal asshole like myself. We also did Boot Camp together and if she wasn't there all the times I wanted to break down - I probably wouldn't have made it.

I guess I'm just lucky to still have a job. So I'll leave it at that.

The weekend was great. Friday the whole gang (minus P. Dunn) got together at Chili's for some drinks and apps. Twas a good time! But I'm totally jumping ahead of myself. Before I met the gang at Chili's I bought a new mattress!

I was super intimidated as I always am when it comes to buying big items. I hate when people are super eager to sell you something - it makes me so nervous. So I marched in and I was like "Listen - I did my research - THIS is the bed I want." He made me feel smart and also made me get on this super scientific bed to figure out my pressure points and how I like to sleep. He kept making awkward gestures to my "top heavyness." To alleviate some of his awkwardness I was like yeah I know I have big boobs let's move on. My mom was mortified. Oh yeah I harrassed her into coming with me. And it's a good thing I did because he took $100 off the mattress I wanted because she bought her mattress there last year. So I got me a sweet new matress and boxspring for $542 and that includes delivery.

After Chili's a few of us moseyed on to The Half Door in the always lovely Quincy Center. It was fun - but super crowded. Robyn and I saw our BFF from High School who looked and smelled totally cracked out. She awkwardly wanted to take a picture with us. So bizarre.

Saturday Missy and I went around to some places looking for stuff for the apartment. We found an entertainment center and a coffee table but are still looking for the kitchen table. Nothing that we've fallen in love with yet. I got a new duvet from Ikea and some frames (which reminds me I need to go to CVS and print out a shitload of photos from my cam) and also some cute decorative stuff.

Later in the day Hillary, Robyn, Alyssa and I went to see the Wrestler. How painful was that movie? I felt like I was watching an episode of intervention. Mickey Rourke was amazing and would have deserved the Oscar (but Sean Penn won and deserved it more!). It was just so depressing. Wrestling was his drug. When things were going good he stayed away from it and when things were hitting the shitter he would torture himself.

Then we enjoyed a dinner at Abington Ale House (which is a stone throws away from my new apt) and stopped at Target to buy the Dead Like Me movie. I was pysched it was there. They were actually selling the first two seasons and the movie together for $50! I'll have to save my review till the next blog because I promised Pat I would not tell him about it (and he's one of the 6 or so people that read my lousy posts). After that we split up and I decided to go stop by Great Chow to meet Jen and Justin for some drinks. We had so much fun. Pat and friends ended stopped by a bit later. Meanwhile drama is unfolding in the parking lot. A girl that was with Jen's sister got arrested in the parking lot - second DUI in one week crazy huh. After she got arrested she CAME BACK! I'm really thankful I was never that rebellious. I'm kind of glad I was a total nerd. The girls at the table behind us were also causing their own brand of crazy. They were like pulling down their shirts and making out and just - yeah it was funny. So Pat made me capture some of it in only a way I could:

Ladies and gents I present to you - the sly photo. I made it seem like I was taking a picture of P. Dunn but no I was taking a picture of the ridiculously tragic girls behind us who in the picture above - one girl was giving the other a lapdance and was in mid of pulling her pants down. Crazy people I tell you. Towards the end of the night one of the gals had a breakdown and was crying all into her drink. Then the folks she was with got in a fight outside and the cops and an ambulance came. I swear it was like a live episode of Cops that night.

Sunday was the day I wait for all year!! THE OSCARS!! I went to Annies and we had a great time. I made my famous guac and Colleen made Buffalo Dip (which totally overshadowed my amazing guac!) which was amazing and Annie made all these different variations of popcorn (her engaged state has made me so domesticated like). I was very happy with the results of the awards! So happy for Slumdog Millionaire taking home all it's awards and also for Sean Penn and Dustin Lance Black on behalf of Milk. Go google their acceptance speeches. Amazing.
Obviously we kept score. Robyn got first, I got second and Annie got third. It was fun.

We all pretty much had a big fail on the technical ones but we all did well on the big ones. I really liked the show this year. The format was cool and so was Hugh Jackman. Oh and my friend Jessica has done a great blog featuring the best/worst dressed - which BTW I totally agree with.

Oh also - Maxise at "i hate so much" - is featuring a doozie of "Would You Rather Wednesday" - so go check it out. I haven't answered yet. This is a hard one :)

Some of my other favorite blogs this week. This may be my favorite blog of LiLu's so far. Like I mentioned in my last post - this gal is hilarious and would probably be my bff if I lived in DC. Well she blogged about something yesterday that is near and dear to my heart - THE SNUGGIE. Please go read it and tell her how genious it is.

And my last comes from the lovely and talented Kay Hanley. She likes Google Analytics. Alot. Maybe a bit too much. Anyways - go check out her blog (and her post about the Oscars) and read this awesome blog about what she learned about herself when she saw all the things people type into Google to get to her blog.

Everyone have a sweeeeeet Wednesday.

xo

4 comments:

rachaelgking said...

To alleviate some of his awkwardness I was like yeah I know I have big boobs let's move on.

Yup... DEFINITELY bffies if only you lived here! Or I there... although I am coming home to MA in May!

jessica maria said...

Wrestler was TOTES depressing. As were Rourke's fingernails!! I keep forgetting to look at his fingernails on the red carpet to see if it was make-up in the movie or not. Ick!!

ALSO, still no package - so weird! :(

Kristen said...

LiLu - Where in MA will you be visiting?? I think drinks may have to be in order!

Jessica - UGH I'm so mad. It is so awesome what I sent! I knew I should have got a tracking number for it. I still have my receipt. I'm going to ask the post office if there is anyway I can find out where it is. If there is NO hope I will FedEx something new instead. DAMN USPS.

Kristen said...

Oh and yes the Wrestler was super depressing. I really felt like he was really that guy. Like I was watching a documentary.