Monday, May 04, 2009

Last week was definitely a huge bummer.  Well most of it was grand.  Never saw it coming.

I got laid off from my job on Thursday.  It's funny how things work like that.  I had a huge revelation on Wednesday night.  I was feeling super positive and  was really hitting all my marks and getting really great feedback.  

Then Thursday morning the head of my office walked in and shut the door and I was like - eh.  I knew it wasn't going to be good.  Eight of us got laid off that day.  They have been laying people off since October.  I guess they were banking on scoring a few pieces of new business - but because they didn't - they had to make the decision to get rid of some people.  

There is a lot I would have changed about the experience (besides the whole not having a job thing).  I really loved my job - but more I liked the people.  I'll really miss working everyday with Bethany and Kathleen.  I'll miss the routine.  I already have gotten up at 7:30 and started to get ready - to only remember that I don't have a job.  Just sad.

Anyways.  This weekend definitely made up for my shitty week.  Friday night, I went out to this place Hanabi in Marshfield with my favorites.  REALLY good food and they have one of those tepanyaki tables where they cook the food in front of you.  We opted to sit in the main dining room.  Super cute.  We then met more folks in the bar area for some drinks and dancing.  This band Six Foot Sunday was playing and they were pretty sweet.

Saturday I woke up bright and early for the trip to New Jersey for Bamboozle.  I picked up Robyn and we were on our way.  I was a little hungover but as soon as we loaded up on some Dunks we were good to go.  I love driving down there.  Reminds me of college.  So many random memories on 95 South lol.  We made it down there around 12:30.  We killed some time and then headed down to Meadowlands.

Bamboozle is now like an two day Warped Tour.  I miss it being at Asbury a little.  JUST a little.  First band we wanted to see was the Bloodhound Gang.  Also one of the bands that convinced me to actually make the trek down.  They were awesome.  They played Ballad of Chasey Laine, F.U.C.K., Uhn Tiss, Three Point One Four, Bad Touch and Fire Water Burn.  I love Jimmy Pop.  The crowd watching them was really cool too.  No 14 year olds.  This was the best picture of them I got.



We also watched New Found Glory, and Ace Enders and a Million Different People.  Ace was great.  Made me miss TEN a little bit.  We killed some time before Third Eye Blind.  Right before Third Eye Blind there was supposed to be a "Special Guest".  Circa 2004 at Skate and Surf in Asbury we were also promised a special guest.  It was Joan Jett.  This year - it was Journey.  YES.  Like Don't Stop Believing Journey.  I also learned the next day that the lead singer was NOT Steve Perry.  It looked just like him.  We were far away.

Third Eye Blind was AMAZING.  They played all the goodies and again the crowd watching them was really cool.  Met some fun dudes who enjoyed them as much as we did.  We peaced out after that as we didn't really want to see Fall Out Boy and we were starving.  Thanks to VZ Navigator we found a Taco Bell REALLY close to our hotel.  Roads in Jersey are totally screwy so we got lost of course.  When we finally got back to the hotel we scarved and passed out. The hotel wasn't bad for the $90 we paid and the people who worked there were super sweet.  

Next day I picked out a cute outfit (yeah whatever) to only find out it was pouring.  Again, giving props to my VZ Navigator, I decided we should search "diner" and go to a legit Jersey diner for brunch.  We picked the Gotham City Diner in Ridgefield NJ because we liked the name.  Duh.  It was amazing and super affordable.  I got some glares and dirty looks with my red sox hoodie (with ended up coming with me for the rest of the day - smart).

When we left it was still crazy downpouring.  So again with the trusty navigator we found a Borders and killed some time.  I seriously could kill a day in Borders (and probably will with my current state of non-employment).  

We headed to the venue again.  It was probably the grossest place I've ever been (next to Warped Tour 2005 in Northhampton MA).  It had been raining all day and they didn't clean up from the day before.  So use your imagination.  It was insane.  We actually got to catch this really cool band from Florida called Versaemerge.  They were playing on one of the smaller stages.  There were a ton of carnival rides at the venue.  We didn't check them out because we thought you had to pay for them (we're that poor - did I mention hot dogs were $5 and beer was almost $9).  Well the second day we checked it out and road the ferris wheel.  SO cool.  Wish the weather could have been a little better.

That was our view of the venue from the top.  Cool that you can see the New York skyline in the back.

We then watched Demi Lovato (who was adorable and seriously bad ass for holding her own up there) and The Used (who I used to LOVE but they are really not good anymore).  Bert is WAY less crazy and both him and the instruments were really hard to hear.  After that we went to dry out inside Giants Stadium and sit.  They actually let us sit in the stands.  It was cool.  This is also the time that Robyn and I enjoyed an Arepa.  I don't know the background of these amazing works of food but - they are two flat cakes of cornbread and in the middle is mozzarella cheese.  AND it was really good.  We had some laughs about how random it was.

We then headed back down and decided we wanted one more ride on the Ferris Wheel.  We got paired up with two really cool dudes.  We bonded over the fact that we were all over 25.  LOL.  Nerds.  After the Ferris Wheel we went to go check out Taking Back Sunday.  Before TBS we stopped at the Gen79 tent to meet one of my favorite blogger gals, Jessica, over at tried to live forever everyday of the year.  She is SOOO super sweet and was rocking the LAMB like myself.  We chatted for a bit and then met up again to watch No Doubt.  We watched TBS from the No Doubt stage because we really wanted to get a good spot for ND.  TBS were good and I think I'll try to see them again when they come to Boston.

No Doubt was incredible.  Speechless.  I got the chills when they came out and opened right into Spiderwebs.  I was wet and cold and tired but I danced and jumped my booty off.  Amazing.  We left about three songs early to make the 15 minute walk to the car, so we did "hear" the rest.  Finally got back to my apartment at 3am and I was showered, hydrated and snoozing by 3:15.  Good times.  Good times.  

Cinco De Mayo celebration tomorrow night!!!! 

xok

2 comments:

Lizzy said...

Bamboozle sounded awesome this year. I wish I could have seen it.

And you're right...95 South has a lot of memories. You didn't stop at that Burger King on the parkway did you?

Kristen said...

HAH NO we didn't. After the show we really wanted Taco Bell! And then leaving Sunday night we figured EVERYONE would be stopping at that BK so we ended up stopping at the first Mickey D's in Conn. Food always tastes SO good after being there all day.