Thursday, May 14, 2009

In my string of bad luck I literally threw a cup of coffee on my MacBook. It wasn't even a lot. But since it was hot - I screwed myself. The screen was working and loading per usual but the mouse pad and the keys weren't registering.

I brought it right to the Apple store at the South Shore Plaza. One of my best customer service stories is from Apple so I had high hopes - sadly the woman that helped me pretty much laughed in my face and told there was nothing I could do - just wait until it dried out. She didn't listen to me and kept interuppting when I wanted to tell her what happened. She kept talking to me like I was an idiot. Which added to my frustration even more.

Sunday was the same deal. Everyone was telling me to take the battery out and turn it over. So I did. Praying Monday it would be better - I put the battery back in to find my computer with no life at all. Mom and I headed for lunch at out favorite place, the Rustic Kitchen at Derby Street so I brought my computer because there is also an apple store there.

The guy there was slightly nicer - the kicker is - he told me if the person in Braintree would have un screwed the back (which he did) and taken the RAM out it probably would have been a very easy problem to fix. But since she didn't right away - my computer is pretty much fried. Oh and is probably going to cost $800 to fix. I have a few people who are going to look at it but I have little hope.

Another thing that drives me crazy is that Apple Care DOES not cover liquid damage. I bought it because I was told if anything happens to it my Apple Care will cover it. It wasn't everything except for a, b and c. So I pretty much paid for Apple Care in case something within the computer - that is out of my hands - goes wrong with it.

So sad. I'm heartbroken over this. This is worse than being laid off.

Also have thought of selling some of my nice handbags online. I do NOT want to - but being laid off - without a job, I really have no choice. My resume and cover letter are on there so naturally I need it badly. But can't get to it. Thankfully my roommate is letting me use her computer :) She's a damn saint.

Oh and I'm not getting my severance pay - which I need badly - until my last expense report is paid. Another thing that is out of my hands. I sent it in the day I got laid off. So because accounting hasn't got to it yet - I don't get my severance. The card is under my name - do they really think I'm just not going to pay it when it's my credit at stake?? Not going to happen. That call is what started my day.

I had a really fun time last night and I thought finally maybe things would be looking up. My roommate and I went into town with two of her guy friends for some Italian food and good times. We had a blast. One of the guys we went with is like the mayor of the North End. I wish I could remember the place we had dinner at (this was before the wine - promise. I just don't remember!). It was incredible and after this I will probably enjoy my leftovers. After, we went to Cafe Vittoria for coffee and snacks and then went downstairs which was a cigar bar. People were smoking cigars, hooka, everything in there. So bizarre. The secrets that place must hold. It was all older men in three piece suits discussing business. One of those places you only see in the movies. I wanted to take pictures but figured I'd have the mafia on my door step the next morning if I did - so I refrained.

Best thing about the cigar bar is that they played the most random music. Chumawumba, late 90's Britney Spears, Jodeci and All Saints. Yeah. We had a good time.

That's really as exciting as my life gets these days. I feel so useless sometimes. The only thing I'm looking forward to is my vacation! Then after that I'm not sure what to do. I need a job like yesterday.

Time to get back to Lost! Hope all my blog friends are doing well!

xok

3 comments:

jessica maria said...

Bummer about your computer! I know how sad that can be!! xo

patrick said...

Wait. Is it Randomocity or Randomo City?

Kristen said...

P Dunn - Well the dash is supposed to be an homage to City - but doesn't come off as so huh.

Jessica - yeah it's such a bummer! Just bad timing! So I either have to use my roommates PC (which I barely can navigate around! So spoiled with my Mac) or sneak over to my moms house lol. I'm a catch.